Thursday, January 23, 2014

At the heart of this farm girl

         I have always grown up around a farm. From my childhood days of spending a lot of time on my grandparents farm to finally owning our own a few years ago. I can remember spring days playing in mud puddles, spraying off with the water hose, building tree forts with my brother, and playing like there was lava under our swing set. At a young age there is no limit to the imagination. I can also remember waiting on my pawpaw to come back from the store on long summer afternoons to bring us each a grapico and a hand full of bubble gum. Then he would take us out to check on the cows. My favorite part was getting to try to spot my cow Midnight out in a pature full of black cows.
         As I grew older my family decided it was time that we should try our hand at having our own small hobby farm. My mom got her some free range chickens and my dad bought a few cows to put on our new pasture. We loved it! Gathering farm fresh eggs everyday was the best. Over the course of 6 years we added turkeys, goats, ducks, guineas, rabbits and a few more cats and dogs. It's been a lot of hard work but it's also been a fun journey too. This weekend we are thinking on adding pigs... but more on that another day.
           Another thing my family and I enjoy doing is having a big garden every year. That is something that has grown too. We started out with just a small patch of weeds and it has grown to the size of two large garden spots. Tomatoes! I love having a fresh tomato sandwich in the summer time. Cucumbers can turn into, my favorite snack,pickles or you can put them on a fresh salad. I love seeing all the different colors of peppers. The corn rows that seem to just pop up everywhere make a great summertime dinner of corn on the cob or as I perfer it creamed. Potatoes are great mashed or just as good baked. I guess I can't pick a favorite vegatable that we grow, because they are all so good! I have Spring Fever!! I can't wait till planting time. 
           I guess that's it for now. Keep checking back for more additions and a peak at what we are doing on the homestead. You can also check out my mom's blog Stevens Sunshine Farm for more on what we are doing around the farm. :)
          ~2 Cor. 3:5- "Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God~

No comments:

Post a Comment